We seek out cannabis to enhance our lives, whether through pure enjoyment or the pursuit of our wellness goals. Cannabis products are strong, and it is important to know your limits use them properly to avoid unpleasant effects of over consumption.
Getting too high can happen. It is not common, but it does happen. We all try to avoid it, but here are some tips for you or a friend who consumed too much cannabis.
- Stay calm – tell your friend that everything is going to be ok and this will pass. Make them comfortable, asking if there is anything that they need or want.
- Breathe – encourage them to take deep, steady breathes.
- Environment – Make sure your friend is in a relaxing safe environment. If they’re not, bring them home or to somewhere that is calm and quiet. Create a little chill zone for your friend and tell them it is chill.
- Stay hydrated – encourage your friend to drink a bunch of water.
- CBD – If you have some, have your friend take a large dose (50-200mg) of CBD. CBD is known to act as a partial antidote. It works best if ingested before consuming cannabis but can also have a positive effect, although less so, if consumed afterward.
- Reassurance – tell your friend everything is o people do not require medical care unless they have a pre-existing heart condition.
- Dosage – check the dosage and listen to the budtender that sold it to you. If they recommended only taking a portion of the edible, follow their advice.
- Black peppercorns – this one is a little out there but chewing two or three black peppercorns a study in the British Journal of Pharmacology by Dr. Ethan Russo, Director of Research at the International Cannabis Institute in Prague found a synergy between pepper and cannabis. The terpenoids in the pepper and the THC in cannabis work together in the brain to create a harmony, in science words, a “Phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effect.”
- Sitcoms – toss on some light-hearted TV for your buddy to get their mind to focus on something else.
- Nature – get outside for a walk and into the woods if possible. This is a good option for the more outdoorsy type.